So this will be way more information than many of you may care to read, but I wanted to record the events of Reese's birth so I don't forget any of the details as time passes.
Since the day I found out I was pregnant a 2nd time, I knew I wanted things to go differently. I didn't want a repeat C-Section and would do whatever it took to achieve this goal. Derrick and I both spent hours researching VBAC and all the steps necessary to have a successful VBAC. I cannot thank him enough for being such a wonderful and supportive husband who took such an interest in helping me with my ideal birthing experience.
As the pregnancy progressed, we encountered various challenges. It was hard to have to explain over and over again why we wanted a VBAC and a natural birth this time around. I found a practice of nurse midwives who ultimately delivered my baby. Changing over to this group was a huge step in the process.
There were 4 false alarms leading up to Reese's birth where I really thought I was going into labor. This and the fact that I was ultimately 9 days past my due date made for a challenging time for me. The last couple times I went to the doctor I was getting more and more pressure to schedule a date for induction or even a repeat c-section...maybe this is ultimately what pushed me into labor on the afternoon of the 8th.
That evening as the contractions got stronger and stronger I knew it was finally happening. I tried to cope as long as I could - from about 2 am to 4 am but finally woke Derrick up at 4, needing a little extra support. I called my Doula Kelly at 6 am in a lot of pain and asked her to come right away. Kelly stayed with me at home till about 9 am that morning of the 9th and was such a tremendous help to me. I could not have stayed at home that long were it not for all the encouragement both she and Derrick gave me. She had another client who also was in labor and had to leave to be with her so my backup Doula Beth came to the house and left to go to the hospital with us a little after 9. She rode in the back of the car with me. Never did a 20 minute ride seem so long!
When we got to the hospital, we were held up in triage for about an hour, which was really tough. It was much harder to relax in that setting and I was getting pricked with needles, etc. But when they checked me upon arrival I was already at 7 cm!! SO exciting!
Once I got to the L&D room things really started moving. I had to try a number of different positions because Reese wasn't quite lined up right and wasn't dropping down as I dialated. As the contractions got more and more intense, Beth helped me with my breathing and Derrick was a constant encourager and back-rubber. We got to 9 and 1/2 cm and my water hadn't broken yet so they decided that would be a good move to get the baby to drop down fully. Once they broke my water it all went very fast. She had to manually hold my cervix open as I pushed a few times to get the last lip to open up. It was really hard to stay relaxed during those few pushes. And then it was all pushing after that. I've never experienced something so intense in my life. It was all out survival mode at that point and I just wanted to get the baby out. I pushed with everything I had for 45 minutes and then, she was here! They put her right up on my stomach and she was the most beautiful sight I'd ever seen. She was 7 lbs. 15 oz, 21 inches long, born at 2:30 pm on July 9th...my little miracle.
I had to be stitched up for about 45 minutes afterward which was rough...I had several 2nd degree tears, but when it was all over, I felt so amazing compared to how I felt after Carter's birth by c-section. I was able to leave the hospital 24 hours after giving birth and feel so great already, it's amazing. I am so thankful to God for giving such a healing birth experience and giving me the strength to do everything drug and intervention-free. It is an experience I will never forget!
6 comments:
Crying reading, I'm so incredibly happy for you Shelley!
I'm so happy everything worked out so well for you! She is beautiful, SOO much hair!! We can't wait to meet her!! Talk to you soon!
Love, Molly
What a blessing! Reese is gorgeous, and I'm so glad everything went so well with her arrival! It's such a gift that God works things out perfectly. Congratulations again, and great job, Shelley!
So so happy for you! So proud of you!
Sounds like all the work you put in (both before and during) was really worth it. And kudos to DH for being such a great partner!
Even with the stitches, I'm sure you'll find your recovery will be much easier this time.
Congrats Shell!!!! She's adorable. (-:
I have to agree with MamaK for the support of the hubs that ultimately helps alot.
Having spent 2 plus weeks with you all, leading up to "the moment", as well as the day of and several more after delivery, I must say that you both have my heartfelt admiration and respect and awe. I prayed a lot through that time and am most grateful you had your deep desire to deliver naturally fulfilled and for the precious little Reese who is now a new addition to your family. Nani
Post a Comment